In Salisbury during WWII a theatre company was formed called 'The Centre Players Club', beginning life as the drama section of the city's War Workers Recreational Centre in Blue Boar Row, an organisation created to cater for the leisure needs of those drafted into the district.
In 1946 the club became 'The Centre Players Amateur Dramatic Society' which performed in the Arts Theatre, hospitals and local villages.
In 1950 it became apparent that the time was ripe for a bold experiment in amateur drama based on the idea of a small intimate 'studio' theatre run on club lines.
In the Autumn of 1951 premises were found at the Milford Arms (now the Old Coach House) Milford Street. With the conversion work completed, 'The Centre Players Studio Theatre Club' had arrived, with seating for 65, and a stage with facility to 'fly' scenery, the first of its type in Salisbury.
The first production was 'Amphitryon 36' in October 1952, a month before the 'Mousetrap' opened in London.
The prefix 'Centre Player' was dropped the following year and the 'Studio Theatre Club' was to begin its long reputation as a company producing drama of a high quality.
Studio took up residence in its present location in Ashley Road in 1984. The building had previously housed the ATC Cadets.
To purchase these dilapidated huts and convert them into a functioning theatre which complied with all the licensing and fire regulations proved to be a severe drain on Studio's financial reserves.
The new Millennium saw Studio Theatre demolish its old building and construction a new theatre on the site of the existing one.
We know have a theatre that our members can feel very proud of.